So it is the beginning of yet another month and those “goals” are looming over your head…you know those ‘ideas’, ‘projects’ or ‘activities’ that you really want to do, but time, the everyday tasks and ‘life’ seem to “get in the way” so to speak.
If you are anything like me you have so many ideas, projects and thoughts on what you would like to accomplish that it becomes a bit overwhelming. You end up spinning your wheels in frustration in the midst of the must-do’s in the “right now” that the ideas, projects and thoughts become “maybe some-day’s”….
weeks, months and even years go by…
it seems like a lost dream to be able to really accomplish those big projects or even a small task of reading a few books in a month or two’s time. These “dreams” become a distant memory of what you would like to do but can’t seem to find the motivation or the organizational skills to get yourself to a place in order to figure it out and maintain a list of actual achievable goals!
I have been there….I had what I thought were “goals” but really I had a list (in my head) of things I would like to do and accomplish someday. This did not help me feel successful and I just settled….settled for getting some of the day to day, everyday tasks done and nothing more…settled for thinking now isn’t the time…settled for less time for myself…settled for less time with my husband…settled for feeling less overall….ugh….talk about stuck in a rut!
After taking the Money Saving Mom’s course “Making Over Your Mornings” I learned the art of setting priorities and yearly/monthly goals. I also learned the importance of truly looking at the season of life I am in and setting myself up for success with my goals instead of failure in over doing what I think I can accomplish…it IS all about being realistic here! This is living with intention folks and I am here to tell you that it has made a huge impact in my life and in my family’s lives! I not only am able to check off my goals, which is an amazing feeling, but I also feel that I am moving forward in life…I am not spinning my wheels…I am able to live with purpose and enjoy my everyday just a little bit more!
So tips and advice in starting your own goal setting process are as follows:
- Write it down!~ As Dave Ramsey says “Writing down your goals changes the way you see your situation”…something really powerful happens when you put pen to paper…you see how it all lays out and you see your dreams in front of you! A goal is more likely to be accomplished when it is written down and an action plan is in place. We will get more into the action plan in a later post but the key here is to write it down. I have to tell you, for as Type A as I am…I did not ever write out my personal/home goals…ever…I had to do it for my outside of the home jobs, so I guess I figured I didn’t have to do it for my home. The most important thing I learned about goal setting is to write it down…this is the key and yet it is so simple!
- Brain Dump~ This is the first thing that I did as I started writing out what was in my head. It is literally what it says…writing everything and anything you want to do, accomplish or figure out…get it all out of your head…the key here is to write it ALL down! Then you can look back over this list as you organize your thoughts and write out your goals more specifically. You will notice that some of this “dump” will align with your goals/priorities and others will be more of a “to-do” list for later…either way it is a great way to get it all out on paper and clear your head 🙂
- Priorities~ Think about your life right now…think of 4-5 areas of your life that are your main priorities or your main responsibilities right now and those become your ‘headings’ for your goals…this helps you to organize some of that “brain dump”, but also makes sure your goals align with the most important areas of your life. I have 5 priorities/main areas in my life right now. They are *Motherhood/Family, *Marriage, *Personal, *Home/Money, *Business
- Do not overdo in each area~ Under each ‘heading’ you will write 1-3 things you would like to accomplish or work toward….no more than 3! I say this because it is so easy to start doing a brain dump again and list 10 or more things, ideas or projects and then you are right back to where you started…spinning your wheels…this process is to help you enjoy life, not feel frustrated and defeated before you even begin. These 1-3 things are what you will use to write down more specific bite sized goals for each month and week even…but you have to start with the big picture and what you want to see happen in each prioritized area of your life. Remember to ask yourself what you would most like to change, accomplish or work toward in each area of priority. You want to be realistic with what you can accomplish in order to be successful! You might refer to your brain dump if needed and you might not…you might discover that your brain dump was more of a “to do” list and not really focused on your priorities…this is ok, as now you are seeing where your energy and motivation should be and that is with the important areas of your life. This will bring you back to living with more intention and joy! (Save that ‘brain dump’ list though! You can use it later for making to-do lists and/or breaking your goals down!)
- Remember to give yourself grace and to Breathe!~ I always go into every month thinking I will check every goal off my list, but there are usually some that are not checked off and that is ok!! I carry it over into the next month and move on! Life happens and perfection is not the goal, but progress and working toward something is…I am sure you will get to the end of the month feeling pretty good for having checked some of those goals off! I know I do! It is amazing to see how I can set my life and day to day to work toward what matters most to me! As moms we tend to be so hard on ourselves…we focus on what didn’t get done over what did…please remember this process is not to overwhelm but to invigorate, you are amazing and you need to remember that! Goals are not set to drown you but to uplift and inspire you! Remember to breathe and let this process bring you joy in seeing small success’ happen little by little….give yourself grace over the ‘not done’s’ and rejoice in the ‘done’s’! Sometimes our best laid plans can not overtake what plans are already laid out by God….but God has a purpose for your life, pray and listen to Him, set your areas of priority and goals under each, work toward them as you can, remember progress is key, tweak as needed and God has your back so you can not fail, but only live in the joy of intention and purpose <3
*I will continue to write about setting goals in the next few months, especially as we get closer to a New Year! Look for my next goal setting post soon! I plan to write about breaking these 1-3 items under each priority into more “bite-sized” pieces so you can see how the monthly, weekly and even day to day can help you work toward achieving success!
What are the main areas of priority in your life? How can you make the most impact in each of these areas?